top of page

Training Overview

Everyone who wants to ride a motorbike in the UK needs to complete a CBT. This stands for Compulsory Basic Training. You must have either a full or provisional UK driving licence for this. The only people exempt from this are those who passed their driving test before 1st February 2001 as this also entitled you to ride a moped…….but ONLY a moped with a maximum of 49cc.

Foreign nationals who have a full motorbike licence from an overseas country may ride under that entitlement for a maximum of 12 months from the date of entry into the UK. After that time you must apply for a UK licence and go through the normal procedure to gain your full

Your CBT lasts for 2 years and allows you to ride a motorbike with a maximum of 125cc. Currently, you can renew your CBT every two years for an unlimited number of times or you can train to get your full licence. There are currently 4 types of licence: AM, A1, A2 and A. The difference is in the types of bikes they entitle you to ride. For each of them, you will have to pass a theory test and two practical tests - Module 1 and Module 2.

For more specific details about our training, click on the relevant links. We are open 7 days a week but CBTs normally run Monday - Saturday. It may be possible to train on Sundays by prior agreement with our instructors.

bottom of page